Make sure you have auto insurance before going through these intersections.[/caption] Driving in any heavily populated city can raise your risk of an accident, and Dallas is no different. Due to heavy traffic conditions on major streets and highways, area residents measure driving distance by time rather than by miles covered. With increased road congestion and the high cost of potential car repairs, it’s important to have adequate auto insurance coverage to protect you and your vehicle.
Most Dangerous Intersections in the Dallas Area
Any crossroad can be a danger if you are not taking appropriate precautions, including seeking affordable car insurance in Dallas. Here are the intersections reported with the greatest number of accidents in the Dallas area:
- TX-121 & Preston Road
- Coit Road and the President George Bush Turnpike service road
- Coit Road and I-635
- Legacy Drive and the Dallas North Tollway service road
- Belt Line Road and Preston Road
- Belt Line Road and Midway Road
- Park Blvd. and Preston Road
- Hebron Parkway and Old Denton Road
What’s being done to Improve These Locations?
In an effort to help decrease the number of issues in these areas and enhance traffic flow, the improvements being made at many of these intersections include:
- Traffic cameras to monitor flow
- Red light photo enforcement
- Increased police presence
What Can You Do?
Although many of these dangerous intersections are undergoing improvements, there are steps you can take to protect yourself in these areas, as well as elsewhere on the road. Here are some tips to help you prevent accidents.
- Slow down. Many times drivers are zipping through these areas at a high rate of speed. Lowering your speed a bit instead of increasing it as you cross the intersection can help you react more quickly in the event of a problem.
- Don’t switch lanes mid-signal. Switching lanes as you cross a busy intersection causes confusion to other drivers. If another driver changes lanes at the same time, it could cause an accident, resulting in increased auto insurance rates.
- Reduce distractions. Don’t text or talk on your cell phone or other mobile device and lower the volume on your radio. Local police report distractions are the leading cause of accidents at these intersections.
- Pay attention. Be aware of your surroundings and pay close attention to what traffic and pedestrians are doing at all times. If the signal turns green, try not to gun the motor to race through it, but watch cross-facing traffic to be sure no one is running late through the signal trying to beat the red light.
- Keep your coverage current. Protecting yourself against the risk of accidents is essential when your commute includes driving in a big city. Call your local agent for an automobile insurance quote to get the best coverage available to you.
If you need affordable car insurance in Dallas, contact us. At Steven Graves Insurance Agency, our agents can help you with the coverage you need.